So I’ve had some extra gaming time lately and have been playing Tera with my XBox 360 wireless controller hooked up to the PC. This weekend I had the chance to check out The Secret World (aka TSW) Open Beta. I decided I wanted to be able to play it with the controller like I do Tera.
So thanks to Google I found a post on the forums and then the original blog post from Just-In-Gaming which gave me a starting point. I had heard of xpadder before but hadn’t actually used it. I bought a copy and started with the setup Justin provides. I then set about tweaking it until I was happy with it. A big thanks to Justin for the starting point!
I fashioned the controls after Tera and the following is what I’ve ended up with for now. I am sure I’ll change things about as I get more time to play the game and I’ll likely even tweak things per deck I use in the game, but for anyone else looking to play The Secret World with an XBox 360 controller that’s after an alternative to Justin’s version I figured this might be a good starting point.
Things are simple enough to tweak to suit your own choices in xpadder.
- Like Justin I changed the default key bindings to swap Q/E with A/D so A/D are strafe and Q/E are turn.
- You need to have the cursor near the centre of the screen for best results. If you leave it on an edge you won’t be able to turn in that direction. Near the centre it also allows you to click on things via the left trigger.
- You should disable double tap for active dodge.
- Be aware of the turbo on buttons A/B in the Default mode. Don’t waste a charge counter on a basic attack by holding it too long.
Download the profile here: TheSecretWorld_TeraStyle.zip I won’t explain how to setup xpadder, etc. There are plenty of tutorials out there for that.
I currently have the following “Sets”. I’ll try to revisit/edit the post when I make changes in the future.
- Left Trigger = Auto Loot + Mouse 1 (can be used to loot or click on things/cast TAoEs)
- Right Trigger = Target Nearest Enemy + Toggle Sprint (pick an enemy or run away)
- Left Stick = Movement (Click AutoRun)
- Right Stick = Camera (Click Toggle Run/Walk)
- Dpad Up/Down = Zoom In/Out
- Dpad Left = Defensive Target Self
- Dpad Right = Offensive Target Self
- A = Action Button 1 (turbo set to fire every 0.5s)
- B = Action Button 2 (turbo set to fire every 0.5s)
- Y = Action Button 3
- X = Tap for Spacebar (Jump) or Hold for Shift to Active Dodge in the direction you’re moving
- Start button = Toggle Mouse mode (see below)
- Left Bumper/Right Bumper = Used to access other sets when held in combination (see below)
- Back = Intentionally left blank as I use it for a toggle mute in Mumble/Teamspeak.
The following sets I note the differences to the above Default set.
Hold LB (Extra skills)
- Start = Map
- RT = Target Previous Enemy
- A = Action Button 4
- B = Action Button 5
- Y = Action Button 6
- X = Action Button 7
- Dpad Right = Toggle Inventory
- Dpad Left = Toggle Assembly Window
- Dpad Up = Toggle Ability Wheel
- Dpad Down = Toggle Character Sheet
- Back = Return to default since xpadder seems to bug out at times and get stuck on this set. :(
Hold RB (Friendly targeting)
- RT = Target Nearest Friend
- LT = Target Previous Friend
- A = Target Group Member 2
- B = Target Group Member 3
- Y = Target Group Member 4
- X = Target Group Member 5
- Start = Target Group Member 6
- Back = Toggle Battle Stance
- Mostly reserved for future use
- LT = Escape
- RT = Target Previous Friend
- Dpad Up = Friends
Mouse (Toggle via Start)
- Start = Back to Default Set
- Dpad Up = Inventory
- Dpad Down = Character
- Dpad Left/Right = Q/E (turn left/right)
- Right Stick = Mouse movement (Click for Mouse 1)
- A = Mouse 1
- B = Esc
- LT = Mouse 1
- X = Mouse 2
- Y = unmapped
The only changes I’m currently considering are related to casting TAoEs (via a Ctrl plus ability cast) and self target via Alt for heals and perhaps a few more tap vs hold changes. I’ll try to update the post if/when I make them.
I still have a wireless keyboard/mouse sitting next to me but with some more work you could theoretically play the game without using them except to type in chat. Happy gaming and perhaps I’ll see you in TSW. If you’re over 25 and looking for a cabal to join you may like to visit The Older Gamers.